- New icon, white background and rounded corners
- Website loading performance improved
Navigation updated: The blue menu at the top changes based on the page:
- Series: Shows name of series (e.g. HSK, IC2) and back button
- Flashcards: Show pager, series / deck name / card number and card count
- Skip to front/back of deck
- Skip between series (when on first/last card and series exist)
- Site moved to gatsby
- Fully hosted on CloudFront as a static website
- Deployment automated
- Add robots.txt / sitemap
- Image compression via webpack
- Use font awesome 5 via svg
- Support injected fa tags via reStructureText in django-docutils
- Caching for graphql via query/variable hash
- Break components / routes up
- Font awesome 5
- Accessibility tweaks (e.g. doctype, alt tags in images)
- Browse: Debounce input field to fix lag
- Responsive UX fixes
- Rewritten in React + Relay (graphql) + React-Navi
- Pages autoload in background
- Removed usage of heavy django template logic and based (mostly)
- Update Django to 3.x
Move packaging pipenv -) poetry
Remove based (no more entangled monolith tying this thing down)
Internal renames, in preparation for new website:
Renamed "Deck" to "Series"
e.g. HSK is a Series
Renamed "Collection" to "Deck"
e.g. HSK Part 1 is a Deck inside the HSK Series
- Decouple into python package
- Port over ux from based -) this website
Open source reStructuredText parts into
Remove gfx, taxonomy, user parts
These were tangled ORM parts / constrained by templates
- Update npm packages, including raw-loader
- Minor python package updates
- npm package updates
- Remove TOML lexer, pygments includes already
- Fix regular expression issue effecting code snippets
Based / Internal:
- flake8 fixes via autoflake, black, isort
- python 3.x updates via pyupgrade
Based / Internal:
- Move webpack configs to typescript
- Update npm packages for bulma, etc.
- Webpack: Use chunk splitting for django-webpack-loader
- Static files: Serve from cloudfront
- Update webpack, node-sass, update to node 12.x
- Update django and django-related packages
- Fix bug displaying dictionary with django-filters
- Run python code through black
- Run JS code through prettier
- Update Python dependencies
- Update from bulma 0.6.2 to 0.7.1
- Update from webpack 3.x to webpack 4.x
- Update dependencies
- Update Django (security release)
- Update packages
- Upgrade bulma to 0.6.2
- Remove Roboto webfont, rely fully on system fonts
- Upgrade to Django 2.0
- Added progress bar at top of page when loading new content
- Restructure template system to port PJAX into based
- Fix links to PlecoDict 2.0 files which were broken for some decks
- Internal updates to webpack configuration to re-use common build information
- Update styling of headers and text
- Fix search
- Improve resilience of 404 URL's
- Fix issue where pjax would bind to downloads
- Move static content pages to reStructuredText
Massive refactor of template system and pjax.
This add pjax support (fast page transitions) to the CHANGES pages
Fix inconsistencies when flipping between site pages and flashcards
Internally refactor search and directory into its own application
- Get scrolling navbar working on updates page
- Port old updates from the about page over
- Start noting updates
- Performance: Static files are now served through S3
- Look at feel: Switched web framework from Bootstrap to Bulma
- More internal code cleanup to make maintenance easier(/li)
- Breadcrumb navigation shows full name of card set instead of acronym.
- Breadcrumb navigation shows the total lessons/cards.
- Improvements for browsing flashcards on mobile devices.
- You can now use a search bar to find chinese characters by english definition, simplified, traditional and pinyin. The search bar on the top right can initiate a search from anywhere on the website.
You can now browse chinese character by pinyin using the english alphabet. It will search through all possible tones / diacratics for you. Use the "Pinyin" field. So search "wo" can match any tone of wo.
- Default font is now Roboto (was using Verdana earlier).
- Upgraded to Bootstrap 4
- More internal cleanup
- HSKFlashcards has been updated internally to faciliate development of new features for exploring 中文!
- Bootstrap has been updated from 2 to 3. Django has been updated from 1.4 to 1.10. The codebase has been cleaned up significantly and work will continue over the next few days.
- In addition, social networking will be reintegrated into the site for Twitter and Facebook
The New HSKFlashcards
Over the past 5 months I have spent weekends and late nights trying to fill my own technical debt. Alchemy is when we turn matter into something useful. What is matter lies in the perceiver - a vacuum or void is space with time is matter to the hermetic hacker. The best material to repay technical debt is inherit invested effort from a prior generation. Nature's grace gave me the fortune of meeting Jacob, thanks is owed to him for his time making the original site a reality. Not only to him, my teachers, the nobel people who gave us permission to use their content, the sages and long-forgotten who undertook preserving Chinese culture and the open source community.
Our deeds, discipline and actions are not coincidental, we're a model for bringing order out of chaos, taxonomy out of mess, hope in a hard world, light to darkness, truth to lies, depth to shallowness, so as to create fixed stars in a world where people roam so lost. We do what we do not out of pride but expectation for what we leave after us. I hope this method and its fruits will be passed down to the generations to nourish.